24/10/2009

Tiger Balm


I have been suffering from muscle pain and headaches because of my quite heavy training program. I have been stretching and going to the sauna and I have also slept enough. Nothing has really helped... until I found a jar of Tiger Balm at my parent's.


Tiger Balm (I only use the weaker white one) is the best thing for any ache. It consists of:

  • Menthol 8 %
  • Camphor 11 %
  • Dementholised mint oil 16 %
  • Cajuput oil 13 %
  • Clove bud oil 1,5 %

Menthol has local anesthetic and counterirritant qualities. Camphor is readily absorbed through the skin and produces a feeling of cooling similar to that of menthol and acts as slight local anesthetic and antimicrobial substance (used in for example Vicks VapoRub). Cajuput oil is used externally as a counterirritant. A counterirritant is a substance which creates inflammation in one location with the goal of lessening the inflammation in another location. Clove oil is a natural analgaesic and antiseptic. Analgaesic means painkiller.

No comments: