19/08/2011

Corsica- The coolest evening of my life

I didn’t know that around the 10th of August it is possible to see a lot of falling stars… but on our trip in Corsica Fra remembered this while we were planning where to eat dinner, which led to a dinner out in the open, watching the stars.

Wait. Lets start from the beginning.

…Giovanni and Sonia started to feel that they had gotten a bit too much sun and they decided to make a motorbike trip to the mountains for the afternoon. Fra and I wanted still to swim and sun bath so we stayed by the sea. I started to read the LonelyPlanet Corsica-guide and suddenly it hit me! Wine! We just had to go to a vineyard to buy wine! (Not that I am in the need of alcoholic beverages every time I read a book, just because it sounded so great, to buy wine from a vineyard!) Fra- loyal to my drinking needs (eh?)- said of course, great idea and there we went. To this cute house up on a mountain with hectares of grapes growing. And it was just so cool! To buy wine from a vineyard in French! :) :)

So when we met Sonia and Giovanni we told them that we had to eat out this evening, as we had wine to drink. They had been having the same thoughts, while they were motorbiking around!  And that was the point when Fra remembered the stars. So we all went to the grocery store and bought 3 different liver patès (I don’t want to sound snobbish, but shouldn’t champagne and foie gras be like a everyday meal or something? Its soo good!), different goat cheeses, baguette, meat, figues, grapes, figue marmalade (figue marmalade on goat cheese, try it!)…oh, and all kinds of delicacies. I have to stop otherwise I get hungry.

Then we drove to a light house in Bonifacio, from where we could see the sun set and the old town of Bonifacio and all the way to Sardinia. We decided to eat on the ruins of an old fort. We ate, laughed and admired the surroundings.

When the darkness finally came (well, the moonlight was so bright that it wasn’t really dark) we all lied down next to each other and watched the stars. We could see a lot of meteors passing the Earth and 6 falling stars , s-i-x!!! Naturally we all made wishes and didn’t tell anyone what we wished for- in this way they could become true.



I once saw a falling star as a kid and I wished for this toy that I got that Christmas, so of course it becomes true. But that’s another story.




While I was lying there, watching the stars, I was thinking that in that moment I was truly, honestly happy and extremely lucky and that my life seems to be freaking amazing.

No comments: